Part 2: Getting Rid Of Dry Eyes Syndrome At Florida Eye Care AssociatesHarsh Kumar
We read about the causes and symptoms of dry eyes syndrome in our previous blog. As there are a number of people suffering from dry eyes syndrome, we thought to discuss about the various treatments available for it. There are successful treatments of dry eyes syndrome that requires the patient to follow the doctor’s recommendations and use the products the dry eye specialist recommends consistently and frequently directed. Below given are some of the successful treatments of dry eyes syndrome:
- Artificial Tears: For mild cases of dry eyes which are caused by excess computer use, reading, schoolwork, and other causes, the best treatment would be simply using artificial tears or lubricating eye drops.
- Lacrisert: It is a sterile, slow-release lubricant that is placed under the lower eye. It slowly liquefies over time providing an all-day moistening effect. This relieves dryness, burning, watery eyes, itching, and blurred vision.
- Omega-3 Supplements: Taking an Omega-3 fatty acid supplement can reduce Dry Eye Symptoms. It is an effective and relatively inexpensive way to help manage dry eye symptoms. These are safe for adults and have minimum side-effects when taken in standard dose.
- Restasis: Instead of using artificial tears, a professional doctor from a Dry Eye Treatment Center might recommend daily use of an eye drop called Restasis. In addition to lubricating the eyes, it reduces inflammation and helps to produce more natural tears to keep your eyes moist, comfortable, and healthy.
- Lotemax: It is a corticosteroid eye drop that is used for the treatment of inflammatory conditions and anterior segment of the eye. It is contraindicated in most viral and fungal diseases of the cornea and conjunctiva. It is highly effective and very safe anti-inflammatory medicine which makes it one of the best choices to treat dry eye syndrome.
- Serum Tears: Conventional treatments for dry eye do not heal the top layer of the cells (epithelial cells) on the cornea. These epithelial cells become very sick and fall off the cornea. Serum tears are manufactured from the patient’s own blood and plasma which contain epithelium promoting growth factors and many essential components present in natural tears to act as good replacement for natural tears.
- Punctal Plugs: These are tiny and biocompatible devices that are no larger than a grain of rice which are inserted into tear ducts to block drainage. The blockage increases the eye’s tear film and surface moisture to help relieve certain forms of dry eye. These plugs are also called punctum plugs, occludes, or lacrimal plugs. This treatment is usually considered when various eye drops fail to improve the dry eye syndrome.
Dry Eyes Syndrome can be managed with over-the-counter remedies, medical interventions, and self-care methods. Although it is one of the most common problem these days, the main challenge is to diagnose the syndrome. Florida Eye Care Associates is the only clinic in Brickell that uses Oculus 5M Topographer, a latest technique to diagnose this syndrome quickly and reliably. The doctors there perform a comprehensive screening using this latest technique to diagnose dry eye syndrome.
You need to maintain good communication with your Eye Care Professional who can help you to minimize any discomfort and maintain proper eye health. Florida Eye Care Associates is one such dry eye treatment center that has the latest eye care technology and delivers outstanding services.